The mussels with onion and garlic sauce is a delicious choice as an appetizer or a meal when combined with Pasta. There are many ways you can cook mussels but I love to make them in a simple garlic sauce. Because of its simplicity and ease of preparation, this is my favorite. You can make this dish in a few minutes if you pay attention to certain preparation steps. The result will be delicious. This easy steamed mussels recipe can be made as an appetizer or as a meal. A large pot is all you need to get started.
- 3 packs mussels (14-16 oz. per pack)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 tbsps butter
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsps oregano
- 2 tsps olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 tbsps fresh parsley
- ½ lemon or lime
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Follow instructions on the packaging to pre-cook mussels – microwave or simmer them in a pot.
- In a large sized pot heat olive oil and butter over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, chopped onions, oregano, salt and black pepper. Sauté until onions is transparent.
- Add mussels to the pot and let simmer for 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Stir to incorporate the ingredients.
- Squeeze lime or lemon over mussels and add chopped parsley.