Balsamic Portobello Mushroom Bowl is served with rice and fresh carrots and broccoli. The Portobello mushroom is seasoned with onions, garlic, salt and black pepper and finished off with Balsamic vinegar.
They should be fresh, firm and dry. If not prepackaged, try to buy the ones that are the freshest. Stay away from soft and wet mushrooms.
Wipe them with a damp paper towel to remove excess dirt. Mushrooms should be handled with care and not soaked or rinsed with water. Remember, mushrooms are like sponges, they soak up water. We want them to soak up the flavor, which they will get from the balsamic vinegar.
Make sure not to overcrowd your pan. You might have to cook them in two batches to exude maximum flavor from your Portobello mushrooms.
Ingredients to add to your bowl
- 2 large carrots , shredded or thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets , steamed
Ingredients for the rice
- ½ cup long grain white rice (or Jasmine)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or water)
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic and onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add sliced red peppers. After 2-4 minutes add the Portobello mushrooms and sauté. Then add salt, and pepper. After 3-4 minutes the balsamic vinegar. Incorporate the mushrooms, peppers and rest of the ingredients, gently. Reduce heat to medium low and cover for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Direction for the rice
- Before you make the mushrooms, combine the rice, chicken stock (or water) in a pot over high heat. Mix together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover until the rice is cooked through.
- Fluff up rice with a fork
- Can be served with quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes to your liking.