This Cheesy Casarecce pasta with Zucchini is a scrumptious yummy dish. The vegan cheesy sauce makes this dish a hit! When you add the zucchini it really elevates the dish. Cutting them lengthwise into strips helps to absorb maximum flavor. I used almond milk and nutritional yeast to make it cheesy and yummy. This is a hearty plant based and dairy free dish, a treat for my vegan foodies.
Quick Vegan Cheesy Sauce
This quick vegan cheesy sauce is super easy and is ready in minutes. This plant-based creation will have you coming back for more. It goes well with chips, on pizza, burgers and can be used to make the infamous Mac and Cheese, or my Cheesy Casarecce Pasta with Zucchini.
Dairy or dairy free? That’s the question
From age 8-14, I struggled with asthma, pneumonia, and bronchitis. I would have a violent attack every year. It was so bad that I would have to go to the hospital for nebulizer treatments. (That was back in the day when they didn’t send you home with the nebulizer). My mother was so worried because some of the medication was so strong that it would make me shake.
Please step away from the cheese!
One year it was so bad that I had to be admitted to the ICU. The Attending doctor made it very clear that I should not consume any dairy products ever again! He was very adamant and of course when I was discharged I had my favorite pistachio ice cream only to suffer the consequences afterwards.
Eventually I stopped eating all dairy. At that time they did not have as many alternatives as they do today. Most of the alternatives were disgusting. I wanted ice cream, sauces and foods that tasted like the real thing.
This vegan cheesy sauce definitely tastes like the real thing. I think even better! It makes me feel like I’m not missing a thing!
Ingredients for Vegan Cheesy Sauce
- ¾ cup almond milk unsweetened
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp butter, vegan
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- pinch smoked paprika (optional)
Direction for Vegan Cheesy Sauce
- In a medium saucepan add oil, butter and garlic. Sauté on medium heat for 2 minutes. Then add milk, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, black pepper and smoked paprika (optional). Stir and combine thoroughly. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Simmer on low to medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Enjoy this vegan cheese sauce over pasta, pizza or any other dish you know needs cheese!
Direction for the Cheesy Casarecce Pasta and Zucchini
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally. Then add zucchini and cook for 4-5 minute, then remove from pan.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Cook until al dente, about 10-11 minutes. Drain, reserving, then toss pasta with zucchini and cheesy vegan sauce and enjoy.