Mezzi Rigatoni with ground Turkey is a great choice, If you want a pasta dish that looks and sounds gourmet. Pasta is a beautiful thing that comes in so many shapes and sizes. Adding spinach and fresh grape tomatoes and butter, adds a freshness to this dish that highlights the pasta and adds a delectable sauce. In our family this is called the “no leftover meal”.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 pack mezzi rigatoni pasta (16oz) , uncooked
- 2 handful of spinach
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic , minced
- 6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp basil , dried
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- Preheat a large skillet on medium heat and add 3 tbsps. olive oil, ground turkey garlic and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes, breaking meat into pieces and stirring occasionally. Then add black pepper, Italian seasonings, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt. When fully cooked, set aside in a bowl.
- Cook pasta by bringing a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta just until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and grape tomatoes, garlic and salt and let cook for about 5 minutes. Mash them with your cooking utensil. Next add tomato puree and remaining Italian seasoning to sauce. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add pasta, cooked ground turkey, ½ the butter and one handful of spinach and stir.
- Add the remaining butter and spinach, mix and serve.
- Substitute ground chicken for ground turkey.
- You can use gluten free pasta, whole wheat pasta or chickpea pasta.
- Make it dairy-free by substituting with dairy-free butter and serve with dairy free parmesan.
2 thoughts on “Mezzi Rigatoni with Ground Turkey”
This is the second dish that I have tried and it’ s super amazing!!! I loved the fact that each of these dishes that I will be trying weekly are healthy!!
Wow! Thank you! Glad you tried another dish. Stay tuned for new recipe ideas. 🙂