Enjoy a bowl of Butternut Squash Soup made with Coconut Milk. This is a vegan dish, a great choice as a main dish, side dish or appetizer.
- High power blender
- 2 10 oz packs of frozen butternut squash
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk, 13 oz can
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 ½ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 sprig cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan or pot combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and onion. Sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cumin, salt and black pepper and cinnamon and sauté them with the onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add squash to the pot and mix together with other seasonings and coconut milk.
- Add all of the squash and coconut milk mixture to a high-speed blender, such as a Ninja. Puree for 2-3 minutes, or until contents are completely smooth.
- Pour soup back into the pot or saucepan and reheat over Medium-Low heat for 2-3 minutes then serve.
- Using frozen squash helps to cut the time in half.
- Add fresh ginger when sautéing the onions and garlic instead of powdered ginger. .