What’s autumn without soup? This Chicken and Acorn Squash soup is just what you need on a cool fall evening. It will leave you feeling warm and cozy.
- 4 chicken legs or thighs , bone in, skin on
- 8 cups water
- ½ medium acorn squash , chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large carrot , chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large pot, add extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, onions and the sprigs of thyme. Then cook for about 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent,
- Next add chicken, cumin, turmeric, salt, black pepper, curry powder, and garlic powder and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Slowly add in water about a ¼ cup and deglaze the pot to get all the yummy brown bits off the bottom. Then add the rest of the water and bay leaves.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. Then add carrots and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the acorn squash in the last 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.