Yes! I love sweet potatoes! And this fast easy recipe will light up your taste buds because of the delicious buttery goodness. You can make this vegan by using vegan butter or you can not you can just use regular butter. I would use unsalted butter so that you can add the salt you want. Pairs well with a bunch of other dishes such as chicken, fish and of course Thanksgiving turkey. The texture is silky and scrumptious. Sweet potato mash will be a hit for many Thanksgivings or any other holiday. This is a really easy and fast recipe. In just under 45 minutes you’ll be done!
Mashing the sweet potato with a potato masher gives it a rustic texture. Adding the egg whites elevates it and gives it a luxurious, sumptuous texture. Sometimes I think it would go well for dessert, because it’s so yummy. I hope you like this one too. Let me know your thoughts.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut in quarters
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 egg whites , whipped
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup almond milk , unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Swerve or reduced calorie sweeteners
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large pot add sweet potatoes and water. The water should cover about an inch over the sweet potatoes.
- Set temperature to high heat. When the water starts to boil add salt and reduce heat to medium high.
- Check sweet potatoes after 10-12 minutes with a sharp knife. Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a medium sized baking dish while the sweet potatoes are boiling.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer or a whisk and beat the egg whites they form peaks. Then set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly with a fork.
- If it is easy to slide the knife in, then the sweet potatoes are done. Give them 3 more minutes if it is difficult to pierce the sweet potato with the knife. Once tender, turn off heat and remove from heat.
- Strain sweet potatoes and put in a bowl. Use a potato masher (or a fork) to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add nutmeg,cinnamon, butter, milk, Swerve, salt and black pepper. Mash until smooth, set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. Taste for more Swerve is needed before adding the egg white. (Once egg whites are added do not taste until the dish is done.) Once cooled add egg yolks and mix. Then gently fold in egg whites using a spatula. A small amount at a time.
- When thoroughly incorporated, gently put the mixture in the greased dish and bake in the middle shelf of the oven until golden and slightly puffy for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.